Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Recipes: Baked Sausage and Pasta

I cooked again. Whoop!

First I will tell you how I cooked it, while telling you how they cooked it, then I will tell you how we're going to do it next time.


What you need:


Rotini, I used about 3/4 of a box
A pack of smoked sausage, sliced
1 can diced tomatoes, no salt added, undrained
1 jar spaghetti sauce
Garlic & onion powder
Crushed red pepper
Sprinkles of basil, oregano, salt, and pepper
Shredded Italian cheese
Shredded Parmesan cheese



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook the rotini, drain, put in a big lime green bowl.

Cook the sausage in a skillet, add garlic powder and onion powder.
(The original recipe used actual onions and garlic cloves, but all I had was powder. Cook the two along with the sausage, and cook until the onions are translucent. They also added mushrooms, which sadly, I did not have either)


Once the sausage is cooked, add to the pasta bowl. Pour in the diced tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, crushed red pepper, basil, and
stir....

Transfer the pasta to a baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Bake, covered, for 20 minutes.
I took it out, stirred in some McCormick's Italian seasoning, then added the 2 cheeses.
Bake for 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted and pasta is heated through.


Now..the next time we make it, I will omit the diced tomatoes, because all we did was pick them out anyway. We are going to add pico de gallo, and forget (again) the onion. I am lazy, so using garlic powder again is cool. Scott suggested adding more sausage and/or pepperoni.

Enjoy.



No comments: