Saturday, August 20, 2011

Lessons in affection

My inspiration.


I have the pleasure of seeing this couple every Monday through Friday.
They have been married to each other over 50 years.
He always opens her door for her.
They walk arm in arm everywhere they go.
He cuts her food, she feeds him his.
They always sit side by side, never across from each other.
When they talk to each other alone, you can see and feel the love they have
for each other. It's like they're on a first date.
Just passing them for a moment makes me want to weep.

I have no idea how to achieve this. I love my husband with every thing I have. I would give up my life in a second for him, no hesitation, no questions asked. I wish I had the capability to have this kind of intimacy with another human being. If Scott were to cut my food, I would be like "dude, I am not retarded". If he sat next to me instead of across from me, I would be thrown off balance and probably fall out of my chair.
I asked him how do we get to that level of impeccability...he said that he was capable. It was me that was emotionally retarded.
Sigh.

So apparently I need to learn affection. Is there an app for that?

No comments: