Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Recipes: Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta

There are recipes I find all the time that I know I would love to try, but I KNOW that Scott is not going to eat. So on days like today, where he works 3-11, I get to be my own Guinea pig.

One thing I am not, is patient. So when you cook this, don't try to rush it.
*pot calling kettle black*


Here is what you will need:
Pasta. Any thin will work, I used vermicelli.
A stick of butter. The recipe called for 10 tbl. I used the stick, which had 8.
I would use the 10. The recipe insisted on 10. I am stubborn.
Shrimp. Frozen is okay, just pick their little tails off.
Mushrooms. Sliced baby bellas are the best!!!!
Cream cheese 3-4 oz
Minced garlic 2-3 tbl
Basil
Seasonings. You know which ones I used.


Boil the pasta. Save half a cup of the water before you drain them.
Melt 2 tbl of butter in a pan, cook mushrooms until they're soft. VERY IMPORTANT.
Season with salt and pepper.
When they're ready, set mushrooms aside in a cool lime green bowl, and add remaining butter to skillet.
Add the cream cheese, 3 tbl of minced garlic, basil, and I off course added white pepper, garlic powder, garlic pepper, and black pepper.
It's going to look jacked up, and you have to mush the cream cheese, but it'll turn out okay.


Add the noodle water.

Stir, stir, stir.
Add mushrooms and shrimp. If you aren't cheap and buy frozen shrimp like I do, cook it while the pasta is boiling. Otherwise, take your shrimp out of the colander, de-tailed of course, eat a couple, then throw them in the pan, along with the cooked mushrooms.


Stir, stir, stir until it thickens. LET IT THICKEN!!!!
I added seasoning to my pasta.


Here is where I messed up.
Calm yourself. It happens.
I didn't let it thicken enough. I immediately mixed it all in a pot, where the recipe specifically said to add on top of the pasta, but I was like "SGETTY!!!!" and proceeded to eat.
It was good, but the sauce needed to be more thick.
Also MAKE SURE that your mushrooms are cooked until they're soft. Mine are definitely not soft.
There was one of the seasonings that kind of got on my nerves. I don't know if it was the garlic pepper or the basil. It didn't cook down. Once again, I didn't let it cook enough.
Sigh.
I could never be a pro chef, I would flunk on "plating".

It was okay, despite my errors. I will try it again, the right way.
Try to enjoy.


No comments: